Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Book store psychology


Today something occurred to me about a fundamental difference between a new bookstore and a second hand one. A customer walking into a new bookstore will likely carry with them an expectation for some current release and may find themselves annoyed or disappointed if it's not in stock, and then leave feeling let down. For a second hand bookseller, almost always, walk ins have no real, disappointable expectations, and subsequently leave thrilled when they've found an unexpected treasure, the result being that there is always good, gentle, happy energy in a second hand store that also feels of awe and magic.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is very true, and it makes me realize that most people shop in new book stores like they would in a drugstore: they go in to get a specific item and go back out. There may be other well-displayed items that catch their eye on the way, but it's not an open-minded browse. That's why online stores like Amazon are so successful - that's the kind of shopping they've perfected.

    Of course people do go into used stores and just ask for a specific title. Probably these are people who aren't habitual used book shoppers. I have to admit that even if I'm looking for a particular book, it rarely occurs to me to just ask for it. Searching the shelves myself seems a better way to shop - I might find something better.

    ReplyDelete